ROCK CLIMBING INSTRUCTOR
Phil offers training and assessment courses in the Rock Climbing Instructors Award. Most of his courses are run through his association with Adventure Unlimited. Details and booking can be found here. If you choose to book please mention ‘Phil Baker’ in the process. As a Course Provider in his own right, he can also offer bespoke courses should you prefer alternative dates. Please use the enquiry page here.
The Rock Climbing Instructor Award is about supervising safe climbing and abseiling sessions on non-remote, single pitch crags and in climbing walls. The Rock Climbing Instructor Award has been designed to prove competence in the supervision of safe and effective climbing sessions.
The scheme is open to all climbers who are at least eighteen years of age and interested in introducing people to the sport of rock climbing.
STAGES IN THE ROCK CLIMBING INSTRUCTOR SCHEME
- Gain personal rock climbing experience. This should amount to at least fifteen lead climbs on traditionally protected routes.
- Register for the Rock Climbing Instructor scheme with Mountain Training. In order to do this, you will need to be a current British Mountaineering Council (BMC) member. Note: if you have previously registered for the SPA scheme this registration will be valid for the RCI. Registering for the scheme will give you access to a digital logbook where you can record your rock climbing experience.
- Attend a Rock Climbing Instructor Training course.
- Consolidate experience between training and assessment courses.
- Attend a Rock Climbing Instructor Assessment course.
The Rock Climbing Instructor scheme covers the following main syllabus areas:
- Technical competence (including equipment, anchors, belaying, abseiling, personal climbing skills, background knowledge of rock climbing),
- The climbing environment (including access, conservation, etiquette),
- Supervising climbing sessions (including organisation, group management, supervising the session, personal safety and working with children and vulnerable persons).
Further information about the Rock Climbing Instructor schemes can be found here.